January 10, 2020 / TIPS & TRICKS
Glacier National Park Elopement Packages & Guide
HOW TO ELOPE IN GLACIER NATIONAL PARK Are you dreaming of glacial lakes, epic sunsets and big skies for your elopement? If so, Glacier National Park is your place! Glacier is renowned for its epic...
HOW TO ELOPE IN GLACIER NATIONAL PARK
Are you dreaming of glacial lakes, epic sunsets and big skies for your elopement? If so, Glacier National Park is your place! Glacier is renowned for its epic vistas, 26 (melting) glaciers, stunning wild flowers, U-shaped valleys (from above) and its towering granite peaks that were carved from ice! This is place where dreams are made of. With over 1 million acres, Glacier National Park’s is perfect for adventurers, backpackers, photographers and elopers! .
Because Glacier does not have assigned ceremony spots, your eloping possibilities are endless, so I have come up with the ultimate Glacier National Park Elopement Guide to help you!
10 EASY TIPS TO ELOPE IN GLACIER NATIONAL PARK
- You must obtain a special use permit to get married in Glacier National Park ($100). You can find find the permit information here.
- Unlike most National Parks, Glacier does not have assigned ceremony spots which opens up to infinite possibilities!
- Traffic can get bad in Glacier with over 2.97 million guests in 2018 according to statista.com. Going to the Sun Road is especially popular, so be sure to follow this elopement timeline and pack list so you are well prepared!
- Glacier is a very popular park, so be sure to get your lodging squared away far in advance! Some fun and cute options include:
- Make sure to grab your marriage license in Kalispell before heading into Glacier! The office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm. The fee is $53 and don’t forget to bring your ID! You can save time and fill the application out beforehand here.
- Are you into wildlife? This park might have the biggest array of wildlife in the country. You can expect to see mountain goats, big horn sheep, marmots and even bears if your’e lucky! Be sure to follow the Leave No Trace Principles and respect the wildlife! You can find more information on the LNTP here.
- Going to the Sun Road might be the biggest attraction in the park. This 50 mile scenic road was opened in 1933 and opens every year in July. Make sure to incorporate this into your trip!
- The park is set up for avid adventurers and you’ll have your choice of activities throughout including: scenic cruises on Lake McDonald, kayaks, canoes, rowboats, and paddle boating.
- Most areas in the park are limited to 6 vehicles and 12 guests or less. The max number of guests for your ceremony is 30.
- Glacier is considered part of big sky country. You can expect early mornings and long days. The skies are clear in the summer and you will find plenty of star filled nights if you are into astro!
CHOOSE YOUR DATE AND SEASON
Summer is the best time to get married in Glacier. May and June are my favorite because the flowers are going crazy and the kids are still in school. July through August has the longer days and the weather is the best plus Going to the Sun Highway is finally open! You also can’t beat the fall months when the colors are coming in.
I would suggest planning your elopement during the week so you can avoid the crowds. You might want to consider a sunrise shoot as well so you can enjoy an intimate ceremony and get the best lighting for photos.
SUNRISE OR SUNSET?
If photography is important to you (you wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t!) , you’ll want to have your ceremony in the morning or in the evening, to capture the the best lighting. You’ll want to avoid doing photos during the middle of the day when the light is most harsh and the tourists are out in full.
Glacier is tricky at sunset because you can lose the light early behind many of the glacial peaks. Sunrise guarantees you the best light for the longest. The only downside to sunrise is that you need to get up and have make-up done really early, since you will be arriving at the trailhead in the park….but the early bird gets the worm!
Be sure to check out the sunrise times here when looking at ceremony times!
WEDDING & ELOPEMENT PHOTOGRAPHY PACKAGES
I’m based in Colorado, but I am a frequent National Park traveler! I did a 10 day trip out to Glacier last year where I explored much of the park with friends.
My photography package for Glacier elopements includes all of my travel to and from the park with lodging. (I will be in Glacier at the end of July. Check out my travel schedule and see if you want to avoid travel fees. )
- ⇻ STARTING @ $3,500 – PAYMENT PLANS AVAILABLE
- ⇻ All day coverage.
- ⇻ Ceremony location ideas.
- ⇻ Lodging suggestions.
- ⇻ Maps and permit information.
- ⇻ Celebratory drink.
- ⇻ Vendor recommendations.
- ⇻ Next day teasers.
- ⇻ Online gallery with rights to download and print.
- ⇻ Unlimited consulting with all 24/7 availability.
- ⇻ Travel costs to Glacier from Colorado.
CHOOSE YOUR CEREMONY LOCATION
Since Glacier doesn’t have assigned ceremony locations, so let your imagination run wild! The possibilities are really endless and you are guaranteed to end up with amazing photos wherever you choose. The park is filled with lakes, vista points, waterfalls, and rivers to choose from. However, an important thing to consider is choosing a location that is close to where you are staying. The park is very big! Start off by choosing the location that speaks to you most and plan around the rest. This is your biggest adventure, so plan your day around your vision!
The five most popular areas in Glacier are as followed:
- West Glacier
- Logan Pass
- Two Medicine Bowl
- Many Glacier
- Polebridge area
Feel free to reach out if you fall in love with any of these photos and I can share the location with you!
My name is Sean, and Colorado-based free spirit with a fiery passion for the outdoors. My Wife and I eloped, so I know what a beautiful and personal decision this is, and I also know how big of a responsibility it is to make sure that you have an incredible experience from start to finish. My passion has led me here, to where I can follow my heart and share its warmth and love for the outdoors with others on their wedding day. Reach out so we can get started on your epic elopement in Glacier National Park!