COLORADO ELOPEMENT PACKAGES
Do you want a mountain elopement experience but you feel overwhelmed about what to do first? Don't trip, you found your guy! I build my Colorado elopement packages around my couples, making sure that your day is catered to YOU and only YOU!
The best news for you? Colorado is my bread and butter. I’ve hiked the trails and chased hundreds of mountain sunrises—and I’m going to share them with you! I’ll show you the dopest spots, the perfect time of day to capture the light, the most epic mountain locations, and (shh, let’s keep this between us) those hidden gems out here.
I’ve teamed up with vendors who get what eloping is all about, so we can curate an elopement package that is exactly what you want out of your day. Simply put: I’m your elopement ninja!
As your photographer and professional elopement planner, I’ve helped over 250+ couples like yourself through the entire process. I’m homies with my couples and want to build a real connection with you, so take your time to read through what I offer—I want you to be 100 percent sold on adventuring in the mountains with me!
Already stoked to lace up those boots and plan your epic day? Contact me to get started on your ultimate Colorado elopement package!
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN MY COLORADO ELOPEMENT PACKAGES?
- STARTING AT $4,600 - The "Wilderness and Alpine elopement" are the most popular Colorado elopement package I offer!
- Check out a more thorough breakdown of pricing and elopement packages.
- Payment plans are available for all packages.
- FULL DAY COVERAGE: You can start at the first blush of the sun or finish at the purple twilight, I’ll document every rad moment of your mountain elopement. This is an all-inclusive experience, so I’m there for candid smiles, shared laughter, and captivating portraits as you soak in nature's beauty!
- RESOURCES GALORE: When I say each elopement package is totally customized to you, I mean it. Through unlimited consultations and planning assistance, I’ll scout locations, create a custom timeline, and share a 62-page elopement packet, packing lists, and preferred vendor recommendations!
- ONLINE PHOTO GALLERY: You will get an epic, fully edited, high-resolution gallery with a shareable link and unlimited downloads. We also offer hand-crafted, fine art albums!
- MAP AND PERMIT INFORMATION: One of the first steps in planning your big day: deciding on where you're going to do the damn thing! After that, I'll arm you with all the necessary information on maps and permits so we are following the rules and LNT rules. Check out more information about permits below!
- PREFERRED VENDORS: I've teamed up with vendors that specialize in mountain elopements. These are the people I've worked with and trust at those 3 am wake-up calls! Check out more information about vendors below!
- NEXT-DAY TEASERS: Let’s face it. We live in a world of Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. You can share your news far and wide with sneak peek photos delivered to you the very next day!
- 420 FRIENDLY: All elopement packages are 420 welcome! Pack the joints and let's ride!
"Between the different lighting throughout the day, the beautiful views of the mountains, and Sean’s supportive, easy-going nature when directing us during pictures gifted us with quite literally some of the prettiest photos we’ve ever seen. Every part of the day felt so organic and so wonderful, we highly recommend Sean!"
- Jessica & Cole
THINGS TO KNOW FOR YOUR COLORADO ELOPEMENT PACKAGE
- Colorado is one of the few states where you can legally marry yourselves! In short, that means you don’t need an officiant to legally get married in Colorado. You can literally marry yourselves without anyone else but your friendly neighborhood photographer.
- You don't have to hike to have an awesome elopement. There are plenty of other adventurous activities you can include in your mountain elopement. Jeeping, rock climbing, paddle boarding, or backpacking are just a few ideas!
- Peak wildflower season in Colorado is bonkers! Picture meadows awash in rainbow colors and pale blue Columbine (our state flower!) hiding in sun-dappled forests. The best time to catch the wildflowers is in June through mid-August when the snow melts in the high terrain.
- The elevations here are no joke—it’s what makes our mountains so dope! About 75 percent of Colorado is above 10,000 feet, so plan to arrive a few days early so you can acclimate to the altitude! (A great option is Denver. At 5,280 feet, it’s a vibrant city to chill for a few days while you get used to our thinner air and grab your 420 gear from a local dispensary.)
- Colorado is huge and has so many different areas to explore. Most of my couples fly into DIA and start their trip off in Denver. You will have more options if you're willing to drive further and or fly to a smaller airport. Luckily for you, I work with all my couples to make sure they are well-versed in all of the options. And who doesn't like options?
"We initially chose Sean for his amazing photos, but he was so much more than that - he was our coordinator, planner, and hype man. Our day was magical and everything we dreamed of - and we could not have asked for a better person to be there with us."
MOUNTAIN ELOPEMENT SPOTS
There isn't a hike or trail I haven't explored and photographed in my 10 years in this motherland. Whether you love the rugged mountain peaks, secluded alpine lakes, deep forests, high plains, rivers, sand dunes, waterfalls, or even the iconic 14ers, Colorado has it all.
I’m your matchmaker—connecting super cool couples with super cool spots. I’m especially passionate about helping couples find those off-the-beaten-path, hidden gems for exchanging vows. It’s just one of the ways your Colorado elopement package is absolutely customized to you. In fact, the majority of my elopement galleries shared online are dreamy spots the couples had no idea about! That's what you get when you work with a local.
Want to get a taste of what you can expect when we adventure together? Check out my list of favorite places to elope in Colorado here!
"Sean was the best hype man anyone could ask for! He showered me with compliments and made sure to capture all those special moments up on the mountain. Sean made us feel comfortable and helped create a day that we will never forget thanks to the hundreds of photos! I couldn’t ask for better photos, they made my entire family feel like they were there even though they were not!"
- Jobie & Anthony
SHOULD WE ELOPE DURING THE WEEK OR WEEKEND?
Trust me when I say this, I don't work or hike on the weekends and it's for the best. Your best bet to find seclusion and privacy is by planning a mid-week wedding to avoid the weekend warriors.
Not sold yet? Check out some other things you might want to consider:
- Trailheads are more accessible during the week. Believe it or not, some trailheads move to shuttle service only on the weekends and that makes it super hard to plan your day around shuttle times.
- A weekday elopement will give you and your partner maximum peace and quiet as you experience the natural beauty around you on the most important day of your life! You won’t have to worry about a million tourists stopping to take photos on their iPads.
- You can reserve special spots more easily. Many gorgeous places in National Parks and on private lands require reservations and can book up to a year in advance on weekends. Even some of my favorite local spots are slammed on the weekends.
- You deserve to take time off for your wedding! If you work a Monday through Friday gig, you definitely have the right to take a few days off for your elopement! Enjoy an outdoor ceremony out in stunning nature mid-week, and then take the weekend as a honeymoon to celebrate at a resort in the mountains and rejuvenate married AF!
- More vendors are available and affordable. Photographers, videographers, caterers, etc. all book up far in advance on weekends, especially in the small mountain towns around epic nature locations. But on weekdays vendors are usually available, and some even will have special deals!
"While everything was perfect, the company was even better. Sean took the time to build a relationship with us. He was outgoing, personable, and so down to earth. He made it a point to make us feel comfortable. Ultimately, I feel as if we walked away married and with a new friend. I’ll never be able to express enough gratitude for Sean saving our day and giving us the best experience!"
- Macy & Robbie
SHOULD WE ELOPE AT SUNRISE OR SUNSET?
If photography is important to you, you’ll want to have your ceremony in the morning or evening to capture the best light!
Sunrise in the mountains is my favorite and might be the most beautiful, calm, crowd-less part of the day. It's the ultimate dopamine hit in the summer. You will be truly secluded as you say your vows surrounded by the morning alpenglow, the rising sun reflecting off the alpine lakes. Take in those morning reflections and bask in your sunrise glory, baby! The only downside to sunrise is an obvious one—the early wake-up time! But you can’t beat the calmness and intimacy.
I also love sunset, as the sun dips below the mountain peaks and lights up the sky in a dreamy palette to the western slopes. The biggest plus to choosing sunset is your ability to sleep in. If alarm clocks terrify you, then this might be the best option! But beware, the afternoons tend to get crazy weather, so be prepared to be flexible if that's the case.
If you were to ask for a professional opinion, I would suggest aiming for sunrise. Not only are most of the hikes western facing for that good light, but you have the best chance for good weather on your big day!
Be sure to check out the sunrise and sunset times when considering ceremony times.
"We ended up going on a sunrise hike with Sean, read our vows to each other, and exchanged rings in this beautiful spot. Sean is an amazing guy very energetic and a fun companion to have trek alongside you taking pictures of your big day. This was a 10/10 experience and not to mention the photos were perfect in every way."
- Cody & Michelle
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO ELOPE IN COLORADO?
My wife likes to call budgeting the "B word" and for good reason, because no one wants to talk about it! But let's face it. Weddings are pricey! And even though elopements are more affordable than traditional weddings, you still have to budget your travel and vendor expenses. In the end, the only person that can decide on the total cost of their elopement package is YOU!
I suggest you start off with a list of things that you envision being included in your day. Things you might want to consider:
- $6,000 – Check out my pricing
- PHOTOGRAPHY PERMIT
- $0 – $250 – Some places in Colorado are free, while National Parks require permits up to $250.
- TRADITIONAL HAIR & MAKEUP
- $250 – $350 – Most of my sunrise couples skip hair and makeup so they can get the extra 2 hours of sleep.
- ADVENTURE STYLIST PACKAGE
- $500 - $1,000 for half-day - I work with a number of H&M who hike up the mountain and do their work on location along with touchups!
- COLORADO MARRIAGE LICENSE
- $0 – $400 – Most of my couples skip the officiant or ask a friend or family member to help but I also know some super rad officiants who are down to adventure into your spot.
- $500 – $3,000 – AirBnb elopements are the rage right now.
- PRIVATE CHEF
- $250 – $400 – I work with a number of private chefs whose day rates start at $250 and go up from there depending on adjustments based on the ingredients or courses you would like.
- FLORAL ARRANGEMENTS
- $350 – $1500 – This really depends on if you're getting a single bouquet or getting the works. Totally up to the couple!
- TRAVEL & ACCOMMODATIONS
- Airfare, car rental, resorts, hotels, Uber, etc. – An easy way to make lodging more affordable is by splitting it with friends and family if you're having guests.
- OTHER FACTORS TO CONSIDER
- Some of the prices above can change depending on where you get married, your guest count, and the time of year.
After you've come up with your list, then it's time to narrow down things you consider "must-haves" for your Colorado elopement package. Are there some things you are not willing to cut out? In Colorado, you can budget pretty simply and do a lot of the smaller things yourself like your hair and makeup, and florals or you skip out on the officiant since it isn't required.
According to Zola's 2023 report, the average cost of a wedding in Colorado is $25,625. So how much should you spend on your elopement? The average cost can range from $8,000 to $20,000 depending on your vision and a number of scenarios!
WHAT ARE THE RULES FOR ELOPEMENTS IN COLORADO?
Getting married in Colorado is super easy, but it's still important to know all of the rules and legalities before setting out on your big adventure. Check out some of the most important Colorado elopement laws below!
- According to Colorado state law, couples are required to apply in person for their marriage license at the local County Clerk's office. Most counties (like Denver) will still allow you to fill out your application online. Then, you’ll need to make an appointment to appear in person.
- Make sure to plan ahead - appointments only open 28 days in advance, so book yours quickly to ensure it fits into your travel plans!
- Colorado's marriage license does not have a waiting period. After you get your marriage license, you can literally pop out that same day and be legally married in Colorado!
- What a deal, the cost of a marriage license in Colorado is $30! Be sure to ask for a sample marriage license that you can use for reference. It helps to eliminate mistakes!
- Once you get your marriage license, your ceremony needs to take place within 35 days, and the license must be completed and returned within 65!
- Turning in and filing your marriage license is pretty easy. A hard copy of your license needs to be delivered via in-person, US Mail, or deposited into a local Dropbox.
"Initially, we were nervous since we have never had professional photos taken before - but immediately upon meeting Sean, I felt like I was meeting up with a friend and he made us feel so comfortable in front of the camera during our elopement in Colorado. His aesthetic vision when it comes to photography was so incredible to watch & see the final product. Our photos left us speechless at how beautiful and creative they were."
- Miles & Kelly
VENDORS TO BOOK FOR YOUR COLORADO ELOPEMENT PACKAGE
Kick up your boots and enjoy the ride. It’s always great working with vendors who are passionate about making sure your day goes smoothly and that you have a great time! A good elopement vendor is worth their weight in gold! I’ve paired up with these RAD folks because I know that they will help make your elopement package feel all-inclusive.
Here are some of the vendor options I can CONNECT you with for my Colorado elopement packages:
Photo and video go together like peanut butter and jelly. If you’re planning something as unique as a mountain elopement, you want to remember every moment. Having an experienced elopement videographer is a must!
I can hook you up with some epically talented videographers who are a perfect fit for my photography style. This means that years down the road, you have the stills that capture the emotion in time and the video that gives you the sounds and feelings of what the day was like.
Flowers can add different colors and really elevate the photos of your big day. There’s so much to take inspiration from here in the mountains, and these florists will help you pinpoint exactly what you want with consultations and mood boards. This is a great opportunity to get something creative on your mountain elopement!
HAIR & MAKEUP
Just because you are trekking up a mountain, doesn’t mean you should skip out on pampering yourself. These guys work with you to create natural looks that make you look like YOU.
It can be windy up in the mountains, so some well-placed bobby pins and hairspray can be a lifesaver. The vendors I work with also don’t mind a 3 AM wake-up call to get you ready in time for your sunrise elopement. I even work with some hair and makeup artists that will climb the mountain with you.
Probably one of my favorite vendors to include in your elopements package. They'll source locally and help you come up with a private menu just for YOU! When you have an elopement, put your money where it makes YOU happy. And it’s more affordable than you might think; way less than a fancy restaurant that is packed with other people. Cheers to that!
DESSERTS + SWEET TREATS
When it comes to sweets and cakes, I’m not going to sugarcoat it; I’m serious about them. I’m a believer that if you are going to indulge, make it SO worth it. From cookies to pie to any kind of dessert you are looking for, I’ve got you covered with the area’s best dessert vendors. Just make sure you save a piece for me!
Legally, you don't need an officiant but it's still a nice option to have for your package! I work with a wide range of officiants that offer more traditional ceremony elements, while others will literally trek up the mountain and help you create a unique ceremony that is a true reflection of your relationship. Whatever your desire, I got you covered!
DO ANY OF YOUR ELOPEMENT PACKAGES IN COLORADO ALLOW GUESTS?
I am no stranger to family and friends coming along. If your family is on board with your vision, invite them to join your adventure and make it a micro wedding. It's YOUR big day after all! The "alpine elopement package" is perfect for those who want to have guests join and it's the best of both worlds.
A lot of couples and I will go off on our own small private adventure at sunrise where you can share a private first look, private vows, and some epic portrait shots. Then, we can meet back up with guests at an accessible location for either a separate ceremony or family portraits.
I personally love this elopement package because you still get to have your own private adventure and your family and friends don't feel left out. BONUS: You get photos in two different backdrops!
If you want to read more about the topic, you can check out how to plan an elopement with family for more ideas.
"We had a family reception afterwards for which Sean helped to find a venue and was very accommodating to everyone. Sean was incredible the entire day even checking in during the reception when it had all become too much pressure on me. The fact that he cared enough to check in with us will stick with me for the rest of my life. Sean really wants the day to be about you and cares that you have the day you want"
- Rebecca & Jareth
HOW FAR IN ADVANCE SHOULD I BOOK MY ELOPEMENT PACKAGE IN COLORADO?
This is completely up to each couple depending on a number of different factors. I book about half of my elopements 6-9+ months out and the other half is anywhere from 3-6 months to 7 days out. These packages are extremely couple friendly with no stress and minimum planning on your part, while we still achieve the perfect wedding day.
I describe my packages like this: the first half of the package is me helping you guys put everything together. From location scouting to vendor suggestions to permits and timelines. I'm here every step of the way! The second half of the package includes your photography coverage and everything that goes into making your photos epic!
At the end of the day, you can book your package as far out to as close in as you would like. But please note: Preferred dates might be limited the closer you book!
"Not only is Sean an EPIC photographer but he is super friendly and he helped us plan our special day from 1200 miles away. He actively listened to our goals for the day, Sean gave us several options for elopement locations and vendors, put together itineraries, added cool ideas, and was in touch with us through text and calls every step of the way!"
- Jen & Kyle
DO YOU NEED A PERMIT TO ELOPE IN COLORADO?
Oh, permits! The necessary evil of many outdoor adventures. I'm happy to report that some places might require a permit in Colorado but everything is pretty straightforward. Places like National Parks and some wilderness areas will definitely require a permit, while more secluded places off the beaten path don't require anything at all.
These rules tend to change from year to year as areas become more popular, so working with someone that stays up to date on elopement permits is important. But don’t worry: I'll handle the research as part of your elopement package, so you'll be well-prepared with all the necessary information!
Some other things to consider with your Colorado elopement permit:
- You should only get married in the designated spots and times you are assigned on the permit.
- Make sure to read over all of the rules on your permit. Most places do not allow banners, steamers, or hanging objects.
- All permits require that the Leave No Trace principles and practices be followed for all elopements that take place. This includes cleaning up the area and leaving it as you found it.
- You should always carry your permit or emailed response from the ranger with you on your elopement day. This is important in case you are stopped and asked to show proof of a permit.
- BONUS: Elopement permits are always going to be cheaper than venues!
- PLEASE NOTE: My elopement packages do not include the cost of permits.
"What was supposed to be a clear sunrise shoot ended up being rainy and cloudy - but that was no problem for Sean! As a bride, I was very stressed about the cold and rain anticipated for my wedding day but Sean assured us and even sat on the phone with us the night before suggesting changes that worked for us and our families. Sean had many backup plans for the best pictures for the weather, which most people would not be able to accommodate on such short notice."
PREPARING FOR WEATHER IN COLORADO
One thing is for certain: The mountains can have some very unpredictable weather. It can be snowing one day and in the high 70s the next, and summer brings frequent—but short!—afternoon rains in high elevations. And if you don’t like the weather, just wait 5 minutes!
But seriously, if bad weather is a big concern for your mountain elopement then read the tips below:
- Mountains are notorious for afternoon showers, which means that planning around a sunrise elopement automatically gives you a better chance of clear weather in the mountains.
- Embrace it! When my wife and I eloped, we had rain all day and our photos turned out so unique & dramatic! Bonus point: Photos with rainbows - can’t get rainbows without rain.
- Be prepared! Keep an eye on the forecast and bring appropriate clothing. Rain jackets, waterproof boots, clear umbrellas, and hand warmers will always be lifesavers in the mountains.
- Not a big fan of the heat? The weather in the mountains warms up throughout the day, so avoiding the afternoon might be best. Not only will sunrise have cooler temps but you'll sweat less and get to rock a headlamp!
At the end of the day, there's no such thing as good weather or bad weather. There's just the weather and your attitude toward it. Your mountain elopement will be great no matter the weather!
Are you into those snow-capped peaks for your big day? I also offer winter elopement packages!
WHAT KIND OF LODGING SHOULD WE BOOK?
When my wife and I eloped, we found the most amazing, cozy little cottage in Ireland, and it really did make for some of the most special memories from our day! I think you should pick the place you spend your first married night together with care.
I'm always down to help my couples find the perfect lodging to elevate their experience. This is especially important when I am helping couples from out of state, because they may not realize how far apart locations are or how remote some areas can be!
From amazing Airbnbs to small cottages to upscale hotels to freaking EPIC multi-million dollar homes built into the mountainside, Colorado has literally every kind of lodging you can imagine (and some you could not have imagined!). Let's find you the place that fits your vibe and aesthetic while keeping any logistics or travel issues in mind.
Some things to consider when booking lodging:
- How far is your lodging from your ceremony spot? It's important to keep your drive times down so you can be fresh for your big day. This is especially important for couples doing sunrise elopements in the mountains.
- Make it epic! Colorado has some of the best lodging choices in the US. You're spoiled with cabins galore and scenic views that will blow your mind! It's important to be creative when searching for lodging.
- If you have your elopement where you are lodging, make sure that they allow events. Also, take into consideration; is there room for your vendors. How about parking? Do you need to pay extra for special events?
- Look for the light! It will just make you happy and excited to see that light pouring into the room or a fantastic view to gaze out on while you sip a cocktail after your elopement in the Colorado mountains.
- You might some hotel elopement packages that include all-inclusive food and beverages or even a venue space.
These are just a few suggestions for your lodging. The important thing is that it has as many elements as possible that feel like “you” so you feel like the day is extra special. Trust me that shows in the photos!
WHAT IS A LEAVE-NO-TRACE ELOPEMENT?
Respecting the wild and keeping Colorado beautiful is super important to local Coloradans. The original Estes Park conservation group once made declared: “Those who pull flowers up by their roots will be condemned by all worthy people.” But there are many things you can do beyond not picking wildflowers. Why? Because following the Leave No Trace ethics is the most important thing to remember when putting together your Colorado elopement package.
There are SEVEN ethics in LNT that everyone should follow. Below are some examples that are expected in each mountain elopement:
- Avoid geo-tagging your elopement spot. Tagged photos are leading to the overcrowding and destruction of fragile places for photos on the "gram". Protecting places from being overrun and crowded is super important.
- Leave things how you found them.
- Staying on the marked trail and avoiding sensitive open tundra and wildflowers.
- Respect the wildlife. Don't feed or approach the wildlife in the mountains.
- Plan ahead and be prepared. Much like weather can be unpredictable, nature can be unexpected as well.
- And one of the golden rules: If you pack it in, then you pack it out! This goes for your poop as well.
Nature is giving you this big connection in the mountains, so I ask all of my couples to be respectful and treat the earth right! LNT isn't for shaming people. It's for educating!
Do you still have questions about Leave No Trace? Reach out for the crash course!
My name is Sean, and I can’t wait to help put together your all-inclusive elopement package! I’m a Colorado-based free spirit who has dedicated my life to exploring this wild world and connecting to the people in it.
I know firsthand what an important and personal decision this is—my wife and I eloped to Northern Ireland. You’re trusting me to capture this amazing day, and I make it my responsibility to make sure you have an incredible experience from start to finish!
My passion has led me here, where I can follow my heart and share my love for the outdoors with others on their wedding day. It’s truly an awesome experience, and I’m stoked every time I get to plan and document your day!
When I’m not photographing couples, I love to go exploring the mountains of Colorado with my wife and our corgi.
Sound like the perfect match? Reach out so we can get started on your epic Colorado elopement package!
DO YOUR PACKAGES INCLUDE PLANNING?
DO YOU OFFER ALBUMS?
DO YOU OFFER PAYMENT PLANS?
Last Updated on September 18, 2023 by vowsandpeaks